Tuesday, April 24, 2007

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

FOXNews.com - Reid: Someone Tell Bush the War in Iraq is Lost - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum: "'I know I was the odd guy out yesterday at the White House, but I at least told him what he needs to hear. … I told George Bush what he needs to hear, not what he wants to hear, I did that and my conscience is great,' said Reid, who was one of several lawmakers who met with the president on Wednesday at the White House. Reid added that more people need to tell Bush the same."

Aretha Franklin had a point in her 1967 song, RESPECT. She sings "All I'm askin' is for a little respect......".

In the FoxNews excerpt above, it appears to me that even our Congressmen and women have no respect for others. Sen. Harry Reid, D-NV explains that he told "George Bush" what he needs to hear. President Bush has earned a level of respect, even if not by his person. I believe very strongly in the fact that the office of the President of the United States, regardless of who holds that office, demands respect. Senator Reid, your political grandstanding is ridiculous. You are trying to garner respect by making a stand and I commend you for that. However, to get respect you need to give respect. If you want to call the President by his first name in private circles or even in his presence, fine. But you should always refer to the holder of the office as President publicly.

We should all show respect to others whether they are the President of the United States or the janitor at the local high school. R-E-S-P-E-C-T, what does it mean to you?


Respectfully Yours,
Brad Walker

No comments: