Saturday, September 27, 2008

Election 2008 - Debate #1

I have been watching the debates tonight, something I don't generally do but, I felt a need to see just who our choices are for President of the United States.

Though the pundits are touting a "great debate", I have to disagree and I am sure there are debate coaches around the country sobbing in despair. Never have I heard one man say the same thing so many times nor have I heard some one say so much without saying anything at all.

I'd like to comment on a few topics that caught my attention.

Topic #1 - The Real Estate Bailout
Neither candidate really stated their position. Too bad, now would be a good time to differentiate oneself by making a decision with possible reservations until all the details are clear. One standout comment by Senator Obama claimed that this was the worst financial crisis since The Great Depression. I beg to differ, the failed S&L's of the 80's, hundreds of them, was much more significant than this issue. The bottom line is a bailout is not going to help. Maybe insure the loans, extend the loans but the government has no business buying out the loans. The last thing we need is for the government to be in the real estate business. Make no mistake the government is somewhat responsible and they need to address the accounting laws that created this fiasco and demand accountability and responsibility for the financial mismanagement of these companies.

Topic #2 - Iraq/Afganistan
I have to give this one to Senator McCain. I do not feel that Senator Obama has the knowledge and experience required to even consider matters of military conflict. Whether or not we should have gone to Iraq or not has been beat to death. Give it a rest. Right or wrong we are there, let's finish the job. Enough said.

Topic #3 - Foreign Policy
Senator McCain gets the nod here also. Although he may not be the most charismatic person to be negotiating with certain leaders, I have to agree with him; There are a lot of nations out there that simply hate the United States. I do not believe you can reason with people who believe that entire countries should be wiped out of existence. Diplomacy will not work with those types, they seem to only understand strict economic policies and the threat of military force. All men may be created equal but we should be careful which countries we consider our equals without some show of good faith that they will work toward common goals as our allies.

Well, those are just a few things I heard. No fireworks on this one. I was fully expecting one or both candidates to come out punching. I hope this isn't an indication of their prowess as the leader of the free world.

No comments: